Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Headphones: The New Wave of Earbuds

during the second week of March, me and some fellow Corps. members attended the 42nd annual CES show in Las Vegas. Besides the crazy fun night life and the horrid stench of Circus Circus, CES provided many different outlets to a new and improved audio enhanced world. One thing that really caught my attention were the new earbuds that Shure is putting out in the Spring of 2009. For all of you ipod owners whom swear to your Apple earbuds, these Shure earbuds will turn you from an Apple audio believer into a bonafide Shure Audio enthusiast.

Noise Cancellation vs. Noise Isolation

The friendly people at Shure reassured me that their "Noise Isolating" technology is the best form of canceling noise around you. The difference between cancellation and isolation is the fact that cancellation sends frequencies thru your headphones that counteract background noise putting off the "cancelling" effect. Isolation on the other hand, naturally block background/unwanted sounds from your ears. To me this seems like the safer way to go.
This article from Shure's website has a more in depth explanation on the topic:

http://store.shure.com/store/shure/ContentTheme/pbPage.sound_isolating_technology

So knowing all of this, Shure is putting out multiple new earbuds with this new technology. This is the wave of the future for headphones. I had the opportunity to try out the SE110 model (which are the cheapest available) at CES. I was amazed. I own a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pros, and these were comparable quality IF NOT better. To me this technology could change field production, post-production, and live music production in the future. I urge you to check these products out and maybe give them a try. Toss the old earbuds out and say hello to noise isolation at its best!

Product Link: http://store.shure.com/store/shure/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryID.12165600/parentCategoryID.12165500

2 comments:

  1. I think most of you know I LOVE my shure headphones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to check out these headphones, too.. they were PHENOMENAL. Even the low-end model rivaled my over-the-ear Sennheisers. And the high-end model blew them away. Seriously, you're going to stop seeing big clunky headphones out in the production field and start seeing these things.

    ReplyDelete